For those who would like to know, my pesky little pancreatic tumor is still alive and thriving. The tumor is benign and very small right now, but will inevitably turn malignant. One day, probably in my 30s or 40s, it will either spread to my other organs, most likely the liver, and cause problems; or it will grow to a massive size, cause excruciating pain, and cut off the pancreatic bile duct; or turn cancerous. Bottom line, it needs to come out soon before any of this can happen. So, I need surgery. Wait... what? Isn't that why I came home in the first place? Didn't I already decide not to put it off, but be safe and have the surgery as soon as possible? Didn't I come home to get it out and never have to worry about it ever again? Ha. I guess I could give up more school and plan the surgery for this spring... except that there is no way in Hades my sanity could survive another 3-4 months at home. Luckily, the tumor isn't likely to make any progress for awhile. My doctor is comfortable with waiting and watching it for another year to a year and a half, but no more. Therefore, the agreed plan of is:
1) In six months, this August, have another EUS (in other words, take a looksie at the ol' tumor.) If it has grown or changed significantly, plan the surgery for the fall. (please, no)
2) If it hasn't grown or changed significantly (more likely outcome), in another six months, February/April 2013, have another EUS. If tumor is still there and looking menacing, then plan the surgery for later that year, AFTER I GRADUATE.
3) If anything changes in the meantime, like increased pain or symptoms, I need to declare a state of emergency and go to the hospital.
To conclude,
The bad news is:
1) I still need surgery.
2) I gave up a semester at school for nothing. I basically just wasted 3 months at home when I could have been having the stupid tumor scooped out.
3) Everything could still change.
4) I get to have at least two more EUSes! It's not like they make my panc hurt for two days or anything.
5) I may not be able to ever go on a mission.
The good news is:
1) Uhhh... I get to wait until after I graduate to have surgery?
2) At least I know about the tumor and I won't die from pancreatic cancer at 45.
Thanks for this! Mom gave me a report, but it was kind of confusing. She said the tumor would absolutely turn malignant, and I asked three times, "You mean malignant, like full-blown cancer spreading all over? I'm pretty sure only some of those tumors do that."
ReplyDeleteThis makes much more sense—it is guaranteed to cause a bad problem at some point. Still, it totally 100% sucks that they couldn't have just taken the thing out in January.