For me, Relief Society is hit or miss. Especially in YSA wards. I know that other girls my age complain about how they don't like Relief Society in their home wards because they're with all the "old women." Yeah, I don't get that. The lessons given be these "old women" are 100 times better than the lessons given by teachers in my BYU wards. They have more experiences to share, they have better insight to give, they spend more time preparing because they care just a little bit more, and they don't spend Saturday night out with their boyfriend until 2 AM and then present their lesson half asleep and in a love-drunk state. I like my home ward Relief Society, 9 times out of 10 I actually get something out of the lessons, compared to like 2 out of 10 in YSA wards. However, yesterday I went with my sister to her YSA ward in Seattle and the lesson was very good. It was lesson one in the George Albert Smith manual about his personal creed that he wrote for his life. Let me tell you, George Albert Smith was bomb. Maybe it's irreverent to called a deceased prophet of the Church bomb, but he totally was. I mean, his goatee, come on it's awesome. Anyways, the teacher had us write down our own personal creed about traits we want to be known for and remembered for.
When I am gone, I want to be remembered for:
- Always accepting others and never judging their mistakes or flaws.
- Always being honest.
- Being an inspiration for good in others.
- Being kind and loving.
- Recognizing those in need of a friend or a service and being that friend or providing that service.
- Having unfailing conviction and integrity and never being ashamed of the gospel of Christ.
- Surrounding myself with people smarter and more capable than myself, especially when I am in positions of power -- to never let pride confine or cripple me.
- Being strong in the face of trials, thus having unwavering trust in God.
- Being a scholar of the scriptures.
- Being happy.
I am very far from achieving most of these goals. They are ideals and I have a lifetime to perfect them.
Oh, yeah, you have been writing in your blog. Good job. My own personal I-have-a-blog-so-I-don't-have-to-journal idea is pretty much dead now, so now I'm officially breaking the journal commandment.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you liked Relief Society. We have good lessons all the time. You should come be my roommate and work here in Seattle! Except I have no idea what you would do, and the rent is actually kind of expensive. Well, it's cheap for Seattle, but not cheap for anywhere else. I'll bet someone in the ward could find you a job though. Unlike in the Clark Ward, most of the people here actually have jobs, so they can help others get jobs.